Getting started with a course blog for historians
Tasks for a WordPress 101 Workshop
1. Open a WordPress account (choose username, password). Choose Basic = $0
2. Create a blog by choosing a URL – it will be http:// [yoursomething] .wordpress.com. This is not the same thing as the TITLE of your blog, which you can set later.
3. Confirm & activate your blog by going to the email you used to open your WP account and click to activate.
4. You now have a basic bare blog at your selected URL. Keep it open in one tab while you work in the Dashboard in another tab.
5. Begin with some customizations in the Dashboard tab (check results by updating/saving in Dashboard and then refreshing the blog’s tab):
6. Learn about Posts: edit the default post and/or make a new one including: a hyperlink, an image, and an embedded video
7. Learn about Media: upload a file to the media library and link to it from elsewhere on the blog (like in a sidebar, post or page)
8. Learn about Pages: edit your “About page” and create a new page